Keep a bag or a small satchel filled with symbolic elements near you to invoke all the feelings and energies of the season. The winter solstice is the longest night of the year when we share many ancient pagan traditions. Decorating an evergreen tree, feasting, and the giving of gifts.
The new year brings wishes for good luck, protection, good health, and prosperity. I will show you how to make a magical yule bag and other pagan gift ideas for the season. These are traditions of Yule and pagan traditions that have been practiced throughout time and space.
There are signs and symbols everywhere; a lucky horseshoe, a 4-leaf clover, acorns, tattoos, and so many more things to ward off negativity and evil spirits. Some talismans bring what is desired – luck, love, health, prosperity, protection, serenity, and other blessings. Giving these blessings or energies through symbols is the best way to share the magic with others.
A Guide To Build A Magical Bag Or Altar
This guide will show you how to assemble a small satchel with the elements of your choosing and what they stand for. You can create any combination of magical energy for yourself or to give as a gift. These make wonderful talismans for this time of year during the Yule celebration.
In addition to making small bags, you can use any of these elements on an altar to give and receive energy. Any place can be a sacred space for an altar. Just make sure to keep it clean to show honor and respect. It is a great place to put stones you have found, plants you have gathered, books, statues, drawings, and symbols.
The most important aspect of making one of these magical bags is to be intentional. Set your intention when selecting materials for the bag and for the elements to put inside. These small gifts and gestures can make a big impact. Some of the oldest winter celebrations have holiday traditions of gift-giving. Giving these talismans or satchels to spread good cheer and fortune dates back to pagan times in celebration of yule.
Luck Elements For A Magical Yule Bag
- Green leaves – hope, renewal, and survival
- Ginger or ginger tea
- Gold pillar candles
- Cloves – for luck
- Cinnamon sticks
- Rabbit’s foot (please don’t hurt one)
Protection Elements For A Magical Yule Bag
- Cloves – use baskets of clove for protection
- Cinnamon sticks
- Star Anise
- St. John’s Wort – for protection against evil spirits. It was carried in pockets or hung on the front door. Especially potent when gathered on the summer solstice
- Coffee – creativity, insight, rids negative energy
- Eye of Horus
- Evil eye
- Hamsa hand
- Celtic shield knot
- Pentagram – used to invoke or banish spirits
Love Elements For A Magical Yule Bag
- Oregano – protection, love, and joy
- Ring – love, infinite love, eternal character
- Rose quartz
- Heart-shaped pendants, drawings, or charms
- White, pink, or red candles
- White rose petals
- Coriander- as an aphrodisiac
- Basil – love and protection
- Amytheisist – deep love, affection, sincerity, wealth
Health Elements For A Magical Yule Bag
- Cloves – mental strength
- Yellow cedar- strength and revitalization
- Cardamom – calming and uplifting of the mood
- Black peppercorns- encourage emotional strength and spiritual awakening
- Acorns – fertility, strength, and growth
- Sage – immortality, wisdom, domestic virtue, and healing
- Lotus Flower
- Caduceus – This is the medical symbol with a staff entwined by two serpents
Miscellaneous Elements For A Magical Yule Bag
- Pine cones – human enlightenment, resurrection, eternal life, and regeneration. As well as strength.
- White berries or mistletoe – staying power and renewal
- Gold pillar candles – wealth, prosperity, ambition, and luck
- Dried orange slices – represent the return of the sun
- Feathers – honor, trust, wisdom, and power
- Lavender – grace, calmness and serenity
- Rosemary – fidelity and remembrance
- Evergreen trees/ Christmas trees – take a small branch to represent everlasting life and fertility
- Sacred oak trees – strength, power, fertility, stability, honesty, endurance, and longevity
- Abalone shell – symbolizes calm and tranquility
- Bell – symbolizes beginning or end, a command or warning
- Green tea – peace, harmony, calmness, and respect
- Thyme – strength, power, sacrifice, and courage
- Tiger’s Eye – self-confidence and inner strength
- Quartz – balance, clarity, and energy
What Kind Of Bag To Use For How To Make A Magical Yule Bag And Other Pagan Gift Ideas
Once you decide on the elements for your Yule bag, it is time to figure out what to put in them. You can choose any cloth, however, I prefer linen, muslin, or cotton. Make your own or buy some (these are a great choice). Even a small box or a small metal tin would be perfect to use for Yule gifts.
It is so easy to sew your own small drawstring Yule bag. First, pick the color of fabric that suits your intention or you can use multiple colors. Here are some color meanings and a chart my daughter colored for us:
- Red – passion, anger, love, intensity
- Orange – energy, happiness, vitality
- Yellow – happiness, envy, deceit, hope
- Green – fertility, growth, money, new beginnings, nature
- Blue – calm, serenity, peace, sadness
- Purple – wealth, spirituality, royalty, awareness
- Gray – mood, mental awareness, formal
- Brown – earthy, dependable, reliable, steadfast, dull
- Black – mystery, darkness, awakening, malice
- White – purity, cleansing, virtue
- Cream – quiet, historical, pure
- Beige – piety, dull, serene
Check out this video for a tutorial on how to easily make a drawstring bag
Wooden Blessing Beads
I make and sell naturally dyed wooden beads that have been lovingly colored using elements from nature and blessed moon water. Each color represents a certain energy – love, protection, happiness, respect…and more. Check out my shop to see more and message me with any questions, I would love to hear from you.
Other Great Yule Gift Ideas
Here is a list of good gifts for family members, witchy friends, loved ones, and anyone you want to give blessings to. Giving thoughtful Christmas gifts during Yule and the Winter Solstice is a great way to create and establish bonds with others. See the bottom of the post for a list of my top-rated books.
Here Are SOme Suggestions:
- Books – Scott Cunningham has a great collection of folklore and magic books, Book of Shadows, Herb guides, kitchen witch books, spiritual, meditation, and more.
- Smudge sticks – these are an awesome gift for everyone. Steeped in history from ancient Egypt to Native Americans, smudging sticks have been a cultural practice for thousands of years. Different materials with different meanings are used to make them. They are primarily used in ritual cleansings.
- Essential Oils – oils are a great gift idea that everyone can enjoy. They can be used instead of toxic perfumes, simmered on the stove, soaked into dryer balls, used in humidifiers, mixed with witch hazel to cleanse and scent bed sheets, and for holistic healing.
- Handmade Broom – make your broom with foraged materials.
- Tarot cards – this can be a good addition to a spell kit, along with a journal and a guidebook.
- Incense burner – Hand select different scents and moods, add a wooden holder and this is the perfect gift. Nag Champa is my favorite.
- Advent calendar– a calendar to help you or your little ones count down the days of the Yuletide season. This is a fun and thoughtful gift.
- Bath salts – anything for bathtime makes a nice gift. Choose earthy and inspiring scents.
- Candles – the glow of candlelight is a lovely gift. Real candles can be used in candle magic.
- Hardwood Pellets – to fuel the fires during the winter season, providing warmth.
- The Tree of Life symbol – this is a very powerful symbol that has been around for a long time. There are carved wooden boxes, necklaces, and embroidery all depicting the Tree of Life. It symbolizes the cycle of life and death and shows the connection we all have to one another and to the Earth.
Wrapping Up How To Make A Magical Yule Bag And Other Pagan Gift Ideas
This time of year is especially magical. Feel it swirling in the air all around you. Giving a magical yule bag and other pagan gift ideas is a great way to give a part of yourself. If you receive something like this, know that someone thinks highly of you. It is an honor to be passed on blessings and energies.
I hope you enjoy this passage and start making your own magical Yule bags. These gifts can be given at any time of the year. A summer garden is full of magic too.
Cheers, and Happy Yule!
Favorite Book List
Here is a shameless plug for some of my favorite books that correspond to this post. These are affiliate links and I do make a commission (very small) with no extra charge to you at all. This helps with funding to keep this blog running FREE for you. Thanks! -Sarah
- Earth, Air, Fire, And Water– by Scott Cunningham. This was my first introduction to the Wiccian magic of the elements and it started me on a wonderful journey. I bought this book 30 years ago and it remains a favorite.
- Kitchen Witch
- Green Witch’s Grimoire
- Earth Power (a follow-up to the first book on the list)
- Advanced Candle Magic
- Elemental Power
- Herbal Magic
- Magic In Food
- The Only Astrology Book You’ll Ever Need
- Crystal, Gem, And Metal Magic
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho