This story provides a recipe for a delicious and easy-to-make best cardamom graham cracker cake with raspberries. The cake is made with whole wheat graham crackers, which give it a hearty and wholesome flavor. The cardamom adds a warm, earthy note, and the raspberries provide a tart and refreshing contrast. The cake is topped with whipped cream and more raspberries, making it a perfect dessert for any occasion.
You can also find some information on the history of graham crackers, as well as some other uses for them. It also lists some different toppings that can be used on the cake, such as chocolate chips, chopped nuts, and caramel sauce.
What Are Graham Crackers
Graham crackers are a type of cracker made from whole wheat flour. They were invented in 1829 by Sylvester Graham, a Presbyterian minister and health reformer, who believed that a simple diet of whole grains and water would lead to a healthy life. Graham crackers were one of the foods he promoted as part of his healthy diet (high in dietary fiber).
Graham crackers are typically about 2 inches square and have a mild, slightly sweet flavor. They are often used as a snack food or as an ingredient in desserts, such as s’mores and cheesecake.
Graham flour is a type of flour made from whole wheat that has been coarsely ground. It is named after Sylvester Graham, who invented it in 1829. Graham flour is often used in baking, as it gives baked goods a hearty, chewy texture. It is also used in some breakfast cereals and granola bars.
More Uses For Graham Crackers
- Honey graham crackers for the crust in these no-bake 4th of July cheesecake jars. Try them for this simple dessert that is make-ahead.
- Another cake that uses layers of graham crackers is an eclair cake with vanilla pudding.
- Make a graham cracker pie crust with the crumb and melted butter for any fruit pie or cream pie.
What Toppings Work Great With The Best Cardamom Graham Cracker Cake
Here are some cake toppings that you can use for your graham cracker cake recipe:
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate chips
- Chopped nuts
- Caramel sauce
- Chocolate sauce
- Crushed cookies
- Chocolate Frosting
- Mascarpone Buttercream Recipe
- Vanilla Instant Pudding
- Lemon Frosting
- Vanilla Frosting
- Marshmallow filling
- Softened cream cheese
What Berries To Use On The Best Cardamom Graham Craker Cake
These berries would work beautifully on a cardamom graham-cracker layer cake:
Ingredients For The Best Cardamom Graham Cracker Cake With Raspberries
1. 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
2. 14 graham crackers (ground into graham cracker crumbs)
3. 1 cup sugar (white or brown sugar or a mix of both)
4. 1 tablespoon of baking powder
5. 1 teaspoon of ground cardamom
6. 1 teaspoon of salt
7. 1/2 cup of coconut oil, solid at room temperature
8. 1 cup milk at room temperature
9. 2 large eggs at room temperature
10. 1 teaspoon of vanilla
For The Whipped Topping And Raspberries
1. 2 cups of heavy whipping cream
2. 1/4 cup of powdered sugar, sifted
3. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4. About 1-2 cups of fresh raspberries
Instruction On How To Make A Cardamom Graham Cracker Cake With Raspberries
1. Into a food processor, break up the 14 graham crackers into pieces and process until crumbs form.
2. In a large bowl, add the graham cracker mixture. Combine all the rest of the dry ingredients with a whisk and set aside.
3. Put the sugar and coconut oil into the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on high speed for about a minute. (scrape the bottom of the bowl as needed)
4. Turn the mixer to medium speed and add the eggs, milk, and vanilla. Beat for one (1) minute.
5. Pour in the dry ingredients and beat for around 30 seconds to incorporate all the ingredients.
6. Spray the 8″ cake pans with nonstick cooking spray (and line with parchment paper if you want) and distribute the batter evenly.
7. Bake graham cracker cake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes. (9″ rounds)
8. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes and turn out of the pan.
9. Let cool completely and assemble.
To Make The Whipped Cream
1. Pour 2 cups of heavy whipping cream into the bowl of a stand mixer.
2. Sift 1/4 cup of powdered sugar and add to the cream.
3. Add the vanilla and beat on high speed until soft stiff peaks form.
-The raspberry cake was made with 2- 8″ cake pans and the chocolate/caramel-topped cake was a 9″ cake pan.
– To make graham cracker crumbs you can also place them into a Ziploc bag and smash them by hand with a rolling pin.
– To mix with wet ingredients, you can also beat by hand in the same order as above before adding the flour mixture. Or use an electric mixer or hand mixer.
How To Put The Cardamom Cake Together
1. After the layers have cooled completely (you can even refrigerate them), lay the first layer down on the serving plate.
2. Top the first layer with about half of the whipped cream (not the sides) and decorate with raspberries.
3. Lay the 2nd layer “pretty side up” and top with the remaining whipped cream. Only frosting the top for a rustic look. Decorate with raspberries however you like.
4. Sprinkle fresh berries and mint leaves around the base of this cake to set a beautiful scene.
-Use a pudding mixture in between the layers to add a different flavor.
-You can frost the sides of the cakes if you prefer, but it looks so pretty with just the tops.
The cake can be made a day ahead of time, but I would make the whipped topping and frost the cake the same day you plan to serve it. To store: the cake must be in an airtight container or large bowl covered tightly with plastic wrap. Place the cake in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Unfrosted cake layers can be wrapped up tightly and frozen for up to 3 months.
Wrapping Up Best Cardamom Graham Cracker Cake With Raspberries
Serve your cardamom graham cracker cake topped with luscious homemade whipped cream and fresh berries. It is a great recipe for dessert and for a brunch table. You can even leave the layers separate to serve more people. Hot coffee and tea pair perfectly with this beautiful cake.
The graham cracker flavor really sets this cake apart from the others. There is a certain rustic and old-fashioned vibe that comes from this recipe. My mom made this graham cracker cake recipe with whipped cream & raspberries for many of my birthdays and I looked forward to it every year.
This great cake is a show-stopper and a crowd-pleaser. It was one of my grandmother’s recipes that I have changed ever so slightly. It is a huge hit in our family!
Recipe Card For Best Cardamom Graham Cracker Cake With Raspberries
Best Cardamom Graham Cracker Cake Recipe With Raspberries
- 1 1/2 cups Flour all purpose
- 14 Graham Crackers ground into crumbs
- 1 cup Sugar (white or brown or mix of both)
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil solid at room temperature
- 1 cup Milk whole
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Into a food processor, break up the 14 graham crackers into pieces and process until crumbs form.
- In a large bowl, add the graham cracker mixture. Combine all the rest of the dry ingredients with a whisk and set aside.
- Put the sugar and coconut oil into the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on high speed for about a minute. (scrape the bottom of the bowl as needed)
- Turn the mixer to medium speed and add the eggs, milk, and vanilla. Beat for one (1) minute.
- Pour in the dry ingredients and beat for around 30 seconds to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Spray the 8" cake pans with nonstick cooking spray (and line with parchment paper if you want) and distribute the batter evenly.
- Bake graham cracker cake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes. (8" rounds)
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes and turn out of the pan.
- Let cool completely and assemble.