This delicious plum clafoutis with cardamom spice is a decadent and classic French dessert- Wait until you try it!! It is a fancy dessert loaded with ripe fruit, topped with a sweet batter, and baked until perfectly set. If you have ever had a Dutch baby pancake, this is similar but thicker and sweeter. Tender stone fruit is beautifully arranged in the baking dish and then topped with a rich and crepe-like (runny) batter.
This easy plum clafoutis dessert can be made any time of year and works perfectly with other fruits such as peaches and pears. It is a light batter similar to a crepe or pancake batter. A clafoutis is a beautiful and delicious baked French dessert with fruit. It is a great way to incorporate all the fresh fruits of the mid to late summer and the end result is a delicious dessert that everyone will enjoy.
What Is A Clafoutis
A clafoutis is a French dessert made with fruit, typically cherries, baked in a batter made from eggs, milk, flour, and sugar. It is similar to pancake-like batter, custard, or flan. Next time try making a cherry clafoutis following this recipe but omit the cinnamon.
In this recipe, plums are used instead of cherries, and cardamom spice is added to the batter.
The History Of French Clafoutis
The history of French clafoutis is a bit murky, but it is believed to have originated in the Limousin region of France in the 19th century. The word “clafoutis” comes from the Occitan word “clafotís,” which means “to cover.” The dessert is made by pouring a batter made from eggs, milk, flour, and sugar over the fruit in the bottom of the pan, typically cherries, and baking it in the oven. The result is a custardy cake with a slightly crispy crust. Clafoutis is often served warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
Other Fruits For A Delicious Clafoutis
- Yellow plums
- Sweet black cherries
How To Pick The Best Plums
Here are some tips on how to pick the best plums for your clafoutis:
- Look for plums that are firm and ripe, but not overripe.
- Don’t choose plums that are bruised or have soft spots.
- Plums should have a deep purple or red color.
- The plums should be heavy for their size.
- When you give a plum a gentle squeeze, it should give slightly.
Once you have picked the best plums, you can start making your clafoutis!
Ingredients For a Plum Clafoutis With Cardamom Spice
Sweet plums and a simple batter make up this plum clafoutis recipe.
1. 2 tablespoons of butter
2. 1 cup of all-purpose flour
3. 1 1/2 cups of whole milk
4. 1/3 cup of heavy whipping cream
5. 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
6. 3 large eggs
7. 1/3 cup brown sugar
8. 1/4 teaspoon of salt
9. 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom
10. 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
11. 1 tablespoon of lemon zest
12. 5 fresh plums
– It helps to bring the batter together if the ingredients are at room temperature. (milk, cream, and eggs)
-To change the flavor use almond flour and almond extracts.
-Dust with confectioners’ sugar or icing sugar after the plum dessert has cooled.
Instructions On How to Make Plum Clafoutis With Cardamom Spice
1. In a large cast iron skillet melt the butter and swirl it all over the bottom and sides.
2. Wash and thinly slice the plums and put them into a medium bowl, set aside.
3. In a small bowl combine flour with all the dry ingredients (sugar, salt, cardamom, and cinnamon) and set aside.
4. Into a blender, add the milk, cream, eggs, vanilla, and lemon zest. Blend for 1 minute on high.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the blender and blend for 2 minutes.
6. Arrange the plums onto the bottom of the buttered dish in an overlapping single layer. Start with the outer ring and work your way to the center.
7. Pour the batter (egg mixture) over the plums slowly, filing every part.
8. Bake at 350 degrees uncovered for 20 minutes. Sprinkle the top with coarse or turbinado sugar and bake for another 15-20 minutes until the top is golden brown. It will still be a bit jiggly, that is perfect.
9. Let cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
-Any heavy-bottomed ovenproof dish with works like a tart pan or stoneware pie dish. Be sure to butter the base of the pan.
-Use white granulated sugar or monk fruit sweetener instead but I love the richness in a brown sugar plum clafoutis.
-If the plums are really sweet you can reduce the sweetener to 1/4 cup sugar or add more if they are too tart. Just add or reduce the amount in the custard mixture.
-Use a food processor instead of a blender. If you don’t have either of these, put the batter into a large bowl. Beat vigorously with a whisk until there are no lumps and the batter is smooth.
-Cut the plums on a cutting board, remove the pit or stone in the center, and slice thinly.
What To Serve With Plum Clafoutis With Cardamom Spice
A plum clafoutis is best served at room temperature topped with some homemade whipped cream. A scoop of ice cream is delicious! This classic clafoutis is perfect served for teatime or dessert – and it also is a beautiful addition to a brunch table.
Here are some other suggestions:
- A hot cup of coffee or cappuccino
- Iced or hot tea
- Vanilla ice cream
- Fresh mint leaves
- Chocolate ice cream
- Fresh basil leaves
- Carmel syrup
- Maple syrup
- Chocolate sauce (yum with cherries)
- Cinnamon sugar
This showstopping dessert is a great addition to a brunch table!
Wrapping Up How To Make Plum Clafoutis With Cardamom Spice
This traditional French dessert is the best way to showcase all of the fresh seasonal fruit. Plum clafoutis with cardamom spice is a rustic and simple dessert. It is made with just a little flour mixed into a batter poured over delicious ripe plums. The first time I tried this was several years ago and I loved it so much that I developed this recipe to make it just right. I hope you enjoy it!
Clafoutis is a delicious and easy-to-make French dessert that is perfect for any occasion. It is made with simple ingredients that are likely already in your kitchen, and it can be customized to your liking by using different types of fruit or spices (like cardamom!). So next time you are looking for a special dessert to serve, be sure to give clafoutis a try!
Recipe Card For Plum Clafoutis With Cardamom Spice
How To Make Plum Clafoutis With Cardamom Spice
- 2 tbs Butter
- 1 cup Flour all purpose
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Milk
- 1/3 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Lemon Zest
- 5 Plums ripe