This beautiful and easy French galette with cardamom and fresh peaches is sure to be a show-stopper. Sweet ripe peaches sliced thin are mixed with an earthy, sweet, and minty cardamom spice then tucked into a soft and buttery pastry.
The edges of the pastry are gently folded over the peach slices in a simple and rustic way and baked at high heat. The end result is a delicious and crispy crust flavored with cardamom and bursting with fresh fruit flavor.
Galettes are a delicious summer dessert to make and sweet peaches are a family favorite for any special occasion. Use any kind of seasonal fruit to make this special dessert.
Galettes Are Great Because…
- They are versatile and can be made with a variety of fillings, such as fruit, vegetables, cheese, or meat.
- They are relatively easy to make and can be customized to your own taste.
- They are a healthy and affordable option.
- They are a great way to use up leftover ingredients.
- They are a delicious and satisfying meal or snack.
- They are perfect for picnics, potlucks, or any other occasion where you need to feed a crowd.
- Rustic and beautiful.
Overall, galettes are a delicious, versatile, and easy-to-make dish that is perfect for any occasion.
What Is A Galette?
A galette is a flatbread or pastry that is typically made with flour and butter (and sometimes eggs). It can be savory or sweet and is often filled with fruit, vegetables, or cheese. Galettes are popular in France, where they are often served as a main course or as a snack. They can also be found in other parts of the world, such as the United States and Canada.
Here are some of the different types of galettes:
- Galette Bretonne: This is a savory galette that is made with buckwheat flour. It is often filled with ham, cheese, and eggs.
- Galette des Rois: This is a sweet galette that is made with puff pastry. It is often filled with frangipane, which is a mixture of almond paste, butter, and eggs.
- Galette complète: This is a savory galette that is made with wheat flour. It is often filled with ham, cheese, eggs, and vegetables.
- Galette au sucre: This is a sweet galette that is made with white or wheat flour. It is often filled with sugar, butter, and lemon zest.
A galette is a classic French dessert and today I will show you how simplistically beautiful one can be. I can hear Julia Child’s voice in my head as I am making this.
Ingredients For Easy French Galette With Cardamom And Fresh Peaches
- One pie crust
- 5 ripe peaches, pitted and peeled
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of cardamom
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
Adding in some cinnamon would be delicious, but don’t add too much to outshine the flavor of the peaches and the cardamom. (Maybe 1/2 tsp – 1 tsp)
The granulated sugar can be substituted for either brown sugar or monk fruit sweetener. In fact, you can omit the sugar completely if you find the peaches are sweet enough or add more if they are on the tart side. Galettes are very customizable and forgiving. That is the beautiful nature of making a galette recipe.
Instructions For Making A French Galette With Cardamom And Fresh Peaches
Creating a peach galette is so simple. It all begins with the filling. For this recipe, we look no further than one of our favorite stone fruits – peaches. You’ll want to hand-select peaches free of bruises but are somewhat soft to the touch.
Buying peaches when they are in season ensures you will have the best and sweetest flavor. Smelling them is an excellent way to tell if they are ripe.
Start by Peeling your peaches and cutting them in half. Leaving the peels on is fine too – but I like the texture better without. But save them! You can add them to your vegetable peel stash for making broth or compost them.
Next, cut them or tear them in half and take out the pit. Plant a peach tree if you want!
Slice them into thin strips and place peaches in a large bowl. Onto the juicy peaches add the dry ingredients of flour, sugar, and cardamom. Then add in the vanilla. Mix this together until well incorporated.
Set this aside while you roll out the dough. You could make this a day ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
This rustic French dessert only needs one pie crust – See the original recipe for that here. It’s easy and made in a food processor.
On a generously floured surface, roll out one pie crust into a circle that is approximately 15″ in diameter (across). Carefully place the dough onto a parchment-lined pizza pan and poke holes all over the bottom with a fork.
To help prevent a soggy bottom of your pie crust, brush the dough with an egg white wash. I prefer to take the egg yolks out and just use the egg whites. This creates a protective layer between the crust and the filling.
Onto the rolled dough pour the peach filling with flour, cardamom, vanilla, and sugar onto the center of the crust, and spread it out in a single layer leaving about 2 inches of bare crust all the way around.
Taking section by section fold the pie dough over the filling leaving a portion exposed in the center. I usually work clockwise and fold sections in a very organic way – there is no right or wrong. It is supposed to look rustic, that is the charm!
Using the remainder of the egg whites, brush the entire top crust and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. That last part is optional but it adds a sweet crunch to the crispy crust. Turbinado sugar is a larger grain of cane sugar. I use it on a lot of my baked goods.
To Bake the Peach Galette
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and lower the oven rack to the lower third position. This will crisp up the bottom crust.
Place the galette into the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes. All ovens are different so the baking time may vary. Check it often during the last 5 minutes and take it out when the crust is nice and golden brown. Let it cool completely to room temperature before slicing into it. This resting period will allow the filling to set up and not be runny.
Wrapping Up Easy French Galette With Cardamom And Fresh Peaches
I love making galettes for my family. They are a perfect size for the five of us without the fuss of a fancy double-crust pie. There is something so intriguing about this rustic French dessert that I’m sure will get you hooked from your very first one. This easy French galette with cardamom and fresh peaches is sure to become a staple during peach season.
Serve topped with whipped cream (made with heavy cream, a bit of powdered sugar, and a dash of vanilla), or a scoop of ice cream. Galettes are perfect to serve at a picnic or at a dinner party.
Recipe For Easy French Galette With Cardamom And Fresh Peaches
Easy French Galette With Cardamom And Fresh Peaches
- 1 Pie Crust
- 5 Peaches Peeled and cored
- 1/4 cup Flour All Purpose
- 1 tbsp Sugar Granulated
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Make a pie crust – See recipe here.
- Peel, core, and slice peaches into thin strips and place them into a large bowl.
- Add in the flour, sugar, cardamom, and vanilla then mix well to combine. Set aside.
- Roll out the pie crust on a floured surface until about 15 inches in diameter. Put the rolled dough onto a parchment lined pizza pan and gently poke holes with a fork. Brush with an egg white wash.
- Pour the filling onto the center of the dough and spread it out leaving 2 inches of exposed crust on all sides.
- Going in a clockwise direction, fold and tuck sections of the dough up and over the filling. You don't need to be precise – this is a rustic dessert.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and lower the oven rack to the lower third position. Bake for 30-35 minutes -checking often at the end. Remove from the oven when the crust is crispy and golden brown.
- Cool to room temperature and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Shop My Favorite Kitchen Products
Parchment Paper https://amzn.to/3rwEk57
Pizza Pan https://amzn.to/3ryWTFX